The table below lists permits issued during World War II. They show that coal was being transported from Bradford Colliery by canal at this time. Because the Bradford Branch of the Ashton Canal was privately owned, permits were issued at the nearby Park Lock (lock 7) where there was a lock-keepers cottage used as a toll house.
Manchester Collieries Ltd, who operated Bradford Colliery, were the owners of the two boats used, Nos. 291 and 311. The captain was James Hall of Droylsden who carried for other companies as well as Manchester Collieries. When coal was carried onto the Rochdale Canal, the final destination was not recorded on the permits. The Rochdale Canal was independent of the Ashton Canal and this meant that boats entering the Rochdale Canal at Ducie Street, Ancoats, required a second permit to be issued before they could proceed.
|87||9 Dec 1942||291||Coal||Rochdale Canal||18½|
|104||14 Jan 1943||291||Slack¹||Rochdale Canal||18¼|
|111||28 Jan 1943||291||Coal||Oil & Tallow Refinery²||20|
|114||30 Jan 1943||291||Slack||Rochdale Canal||20¼|
|116||10 Feb 1943||291||Coal||Rochdale Canal||22|
|140||20 Mar 1943||291||Slack||Rochdale Canal||20|
|141||23 Mar 1943||291||Slack||Rochdale Canal||21½|
|152||21 Apr 1943||291||Coal||Rochdale Canal||19½|
|163||19 May 1943||291 & 311||Coal||Rochdale Canal||43|
|168||26 May 1943||311||Slack||Oil & Tallow Refinery||20½|
|201||6 Sep 1943||311||Coal||Rochdale Canal||20|
|214||30 Sep 1943||311 & 291||Coal||Rochdale Canal||20 & 19¼|
|230||30 Oct 1943||291 & 311||Coal||Rochdale Canal||20¾ & 21¼|
|368||21 Jan 1944||311 & 291||Coal||Rochdale Canal||21¼ & 18¼|
|448||22 Mar 1944||311 & 291||Coal||Rochdale Canal||40½|
|471||12 May 1944||291 & 311||Coal||Rochdale Canal||20 & 21¼|
¹Slack was a mixture of small pieces of coal, coal dust and dirt.
²The Oil & Tallow Refinery was situated in Ancoats by Quaker's Pond, which was the name given to the section of the Ashton Canal between locks 3 and 4.
The permits record that a total of 445¾ tons of coal was transported from Bradford Colliery by canal over a period of 1 year and 5 months between 9 December 1942 and 12 May 1944.