Accommodation Bridges were built over canals to preserve ancient rights of way and typically they were provided for the convenience of farmers who required access to their fields that lay on the opposite side of new canals.
The bridges shown here are now recognised as having special architectural and/or historic interest.
Click thumbnails for full pictures, then click browser back button/arrow to return here
|Bridge 19, Brick Change Bridge, Marple, looking south, 24 July 1978.|
|Bridge 19, Brick Change Bridge, Marple, looking north, 19 November 2006.|
|Bridge 21, Plucks (or Rawton Walls) Bridge, Marple, looking south, 19 November 2006.|
|Bridge 23, Stanley Hall (or Kicker's) Bridge, looking north west, Strines, 19 November 2006.|
|Bridge 26, Dryhurst Bridge, looking east, near Disley, 27 August 1978.|
|Bridge 27, Greens Hall Bridge, looking east, near Disley, 27 August 1978.|
|Bridge 28, Albion Road Bridge (formerly Thornsett Road Bridge) at Warksmoor Wharf looking east, Newtown, 27 August 1978. Brunswick Mill is on the left and Albion Mill is off the picture on the right. Canal Foundry is beyond the bridge on the left and Victoria Mill stands next to it.|
|Bridge 29, Bankend Bridge, looking south east, Newtown, New Mills, 2 September 1978.|
|Bridge 31, Furness Bridge, looking north west, Furness Vale, 24 March 1979. The original bridge was demolished in 1924 and replaced by a concrete bridge. The building on the right is the Travellers Call Inn. On the near side of the bridge, on the left, there was once a coal yard and opposite this, on the far side of the bridge, there was a coal chute used to load carts with coal.|
|Bridge 33, Greensdeep (or Bugsworth New Road) Bridge, looking north, Furness Vale, 26 November 2006.|
|Chinley Road (or Silk Hill) Bridge, looking east, Bugsworth Basin, 24 March 2005. This is the last bridge on the canal, which terminates in the Upper Basin a short beyond. There is no towpath through the bridge hole and boats had to be poled through.|