Lock 1 and Bottom Lock House, 1887.
It is understood that this lock house was built in 1835. The 1850 Tithe Schedule describes it as 'Woodland and Buildings', although only one building is shown on the Tithe Map and this appears to be in a slightly different position than the photograph shows.
At this time, the Owner of the land on which the house stood (Plot 174) was the Peak Forest Canal Company while the Occupier was the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company.
In 1846, control of the Peak Forest Canal Company passed to the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company but it was still a legal entity. This might explain why the name of the owner is different from the name of the occupier.