Lower Peak Forest Canal

Features Past and Present

Introduction
The Lower Peak Forest Canal was open for trade between Dukinfield and the unfinished Marple Aqueduct by May 1798. The channel of the aqueduct was filled with water on the 1 May 1800 even though its construction was still incomplete. This is the generally accepted opening date for the Peak Forest Canal with the exception of Marple Locks, which were bypassed by a temporary tramway. The Upper Peak Forest Canal and Peak Forest Tramway opened for trade on the 31 August 1796 and Marple Locks were opened throughout in November 1805.

Picture Gallery

Click thumbnails for full-sized pictures, then close current browser tag to return here