St Luke’s Church viewed looking east from Railway Street.
The building on the right is the church hall which opened in 1984.
This Anglican church was built in 1848-49 and the architect was Joseph Clarke (1819-1888) of London on behalf of the Church Commissioners. It was built in stone with a slate roof following the formation of the new Parish of St Mark, Dukinfield. The tower was added in 1880-81 and the architect was John Eaton Jr (1838-25 Nov 1905) of John Eaton & Sons whose architectural practice was at Ashton-under-Lyne. He was responsible for two other commissions in Dukinfield, namely the nearby St Luke’s Church and Dukinfield Town Hall, both of which are on King Street. John Eaton was the Lieutenant Colonel and Honorary Colonel of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion of the Manchester Regiment (Ashton Volunteers).
A life-long member of St Mark’s Church was the actress Kathy Staff (1928-2008) and a blue plaque dedicated to her was placed on the wall of the Church Hall by the Railway Street entrance on the 14 March 2011. She was best known for her role as Nora Batty in 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Kathy Staff was born at Dukinfield as Minnie Higginbottom and she started her acting career as Katherine Brant. She married John William Staff at St Mark’s Church in 1951.
St Mark's Church was listed Grade II on the 6 Feb 1986, List Entry No. 1356419.