« Back

Great Wood Sough

Great Wood Sough was constructed to drain water from mine workings. Sometime between 1909 and 1922 Great Wood Pit became a pumping station, in a similar manner to Hulme's Pit alongside the river Tame. It is likely that the construction of the sough was contemporary with this. Whether the pit was henceforth used solely for pumping purposes or it was still used for winding men and coal as well is unknown.

 
Great Wood Sough, 16 April 2009.