This colliery was situated on the north side of Broadoak Rd and it occupied two sites about 454 yards apart. Moss Pit, with two shafts, was on the west side of Lees Rd and Nook Pit, with one shaft, was on the east side. The latter took its name from the adjoining hamlet of Hurst Nook but it was also known as No. 2 Pit. Moss Pit was connected to the Oldham, Ashton and Guide Bridge Junction Railway by a 1,072-yard long branch line.
The dates of ownership of Broad Oak Colliery are indeterminate. The colliery was extant by the 1780s and by 1846 it was owned by Lees, Jones, Booth & Co. They were followed by Bournes & Robinson (colliers and coal and salt proprietors of Sutton, St Helens, Lancashire) who owned it for an unspecified period. The London Gazette recorded that by 1856 it was owned by Messrs Leeses and Booth and by 1869 ownership passed to the Fairbottom Colliery Co. The London Gazette recorded that in 1879 the colliery was owned by the Broad Oak Colliery Co, the proprietors being E Walmsley, Sampson Maiden and Frederick Parkes. In 1897 the London Gazette recorded that the proprietor of the Broad Oak Colliery Co was Maria Maiden of Timperley Fold, Hurst. In 1898 the Broad Oak Colliery Co Ltd was incorporated, Company No. 58339. The colliery was abandoned in 1904 and on the 22 Mar 1905 a resolution was passed to voluntarily wind up the company.
In c.1891 the colliery manager was Thomas Brindle Mills, the under-manager was Matthew Ramsden and the head banksman was William Holland. Between 1895 and 1901 two mines were being worked at Moss Pit and the average number working underground was 21 with seven on the surface. At Nook Pit one mine was being worked at a depth of 236 yards and the average number working underground was 117 with 24 on the surface.
Nook Pit, Broad Oak Colliery, c.1891.
From the left: Thomas Brindle Mills (manager), Ralph Kenyon, William Holland (head banksman), Frank Lees, and Matthew Ramsden (under manager).
Miners’ Refuge, King’s Rd, Hurst.
This inn opened as a beerhouse in 1860 and it was situated near Hurst Cross at the junction of King’s Rd, Queen’s Rd and Lees Rd. It would have been frequented by coal miners working at Broad Oak Colliery, Hurst Colliery (Cedar Park), Rusty Mine Pit (off the west side of King's Rd) and Hurst Knowle Colliery (off the east side of King's Rd).
Known fatalities at Broad Oak Colliery, 1876-95
|Name||Present Site Location||Closure|
|Ashton Moss Colliery||Manchester Rd||1964|
|Bengal Pit||Whiteacre Rd|
|Broad Oak Colliery||Broadoak Rd, Hurst||1904|
|Charlestown||Near bus station
on Wellington Rd
|Dock Pit||Park Bridge Rd||c.1865|
|Fairbottom Colliery||Park Bridge Rd||c.1865|
near Hartshead Pike
|Heys Colliery||Mossley Rd||1860/64|
|Cedar Park, Hurst|
|Hurst Knowle Colliery
|Off King's Rd, Hurst|
|Limehurst Colliery²||Oldham Rd, Limehurst||1898|
|Lords Field Colliery||Cranbrook Gardens||1875|
|Rocher Colliery||Park Bridge||1885/87|
|Rusty Mine Pit
|Off King's Rd, Hurst|
|Wellington Pit||Waggon Rd,
¹The proprietors of these three coal mines were Oldham Whittaker (1811-71) and his son John Crompton Whittaker (1839-64) trading as John Whittaker & Sons who were also proprietors of Hurst Mills (Whittaker’s Mills). Oldham Whittaker was resident at Hurst Hall. ²Limehurst Colliery opened in c.1855 and by the 1860s the Buckley family were the proprietors trading as Buckley & Co. In 1880 the Limehurst Coal Co Ltd was incorporated, Company No. 14749. In 1892 the New Limehurst Colliery Co Ltd was incorporated, Company No. 36417, and the under manager was Henry Lowe. The company was wound up in 1899, the petitioner being Marshall Gartside Buckley (1864-1934).