Scheduled Monuments

Audenshaw, Tameside

St Stephen's Church
Grade II, List Entry No. 1309267,
Date first listed: 31 May 1966.

Built in 1845/46 to a design by the Manchester architect Edwin Hugh Shellard for the Church Commissioners, with a chancel added in 1900. Built in the Gothic Revival style of hammer-dressed stone and slate roof.

Ryecroft Hall
Grade II, List Entry No. 1067987,
Date first listed: 31 May 1966.

Built in c.1860 this hall is of Ashlar stone construction with a slate roof. It is a two storey range of 7 bays by 4 bays. It is the former residence of Abel Buckley J.P. and former M.P. (1835-23 Dec 1908), a cotton manufacturer.

Ryecroft Hall

Audenshaw Lodge
Grade II, List Entry No. 1067965,
Date first listed: 22 Aug 1979.

Built in 1774 of brick construction, the building has Flemish and header bonds with a graduated stone slate roof. It is two storeys high with later additions to the rear and left.

Lodge Farm Barn
Grade II, List Entry No. 1069766,
Date first listed: 22 Aug 1979.

Brick built in the late 17th century with 19th century alterations. This barn has English garden wall bond with a graduated stone slate roof. There are opposed cart and winnowing doors with animal accommodation, possibly stabling, at the east end.

Audenshaw War Memorial
Grade II, List Entry No. 1356483,
Date first listed: 14 Jul 1987.

Constructed in c.1920, this memorial consists of a stone base surmounted by a bronze statue of a soldier sculpted by Percy George Bentham and cast at the Albion Art Foundry. The battle-clad figure, clasping a rifle, stands on a tall square shaft with plain pediments and rolls of honour on the each face. The Albion Art Foundry (Alexander Parlanti) was based at Beaumont Road, West Kensington, London.

Pillar Transformer & Street Light
Grade II, List Entry No. 1356484,
Date first listed: 14 Jul 1987.

Dating from c.1900 this transformer was used to supply power to the tramway system. It was made by the British Electric Transformer Co of Hayes, Middlesex.

Horse & Cattle Trough
Grade II, List Entry No. 1381420,
Date first listed: 16 Aug 2000.

The trough dates from 1879 and it was installed on behalf of a Miss M Ashworth. The inscription on the front of the polished Cornish granite trough reads, ‘THE RIGHTEOUS MAN REGARDETH THE LIFE OF HIS BEAST ’ - Proverbs 12:10 – King James Bible.

Update: Both monuments were badly damaged on the 25 May 2020 and their remains have been removed from site.

Transformer & Trough
The two monuments prior to their damage.

Milestone
Grade II, List Entry No. 1268427,
Date first listed: 9 Nov 2000.

This 19th century milestone may date from 1824 when the present A635 road became a turnpike. It consists of a rectangular sandstone post, about 1.5 metres tall, with two inscribed faces. One side reads, ‘1 MILE To Ashton’ and the other reads, ‘5 MILES To Manchester’.