Page 1

Headgear of No. 1 Shaft
It is of steel lattice construction, with rivetted plates at the joints, and it stands over 100 feet high. It was built in 1912 by Head Wrightson & Co of Stockton-on-Tees.

Headgear of No. 1 Shaft
The green drum at the foot of the inclined girders is a capstan engine from Agecroft Colliery in Salford where it was used for re-roping purposes and for shaft inspection.

Headgear of No. 1 Shaft
Detail showing the headwheels.

Headgear of No. 1 Shaft
Detail showing the lattice structure and rivetted plates at the joints.

Mine Cage

Lancashire Mining Museum

The museum in the care of the Red Rose Steam Society Ltd whose official web site for details, opening times, etc, can be seen by clicking on the link below:

The museum houses the only surviving colliery engine house and headgear in Lancashire.

Lancashire Mining Museum, Grid Ref. SJ 70459 99962:

Engine House and Headgear (aka the Winding Tower), dating from 1912, are Grade II listed, List Entry No. 1017061.

The Headgear is a Scheduled Ancient Monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979, scheduled on the 14 December 1999. It is also a listed building, Grade II listed, Entry No. 1068445. Due to its poor condition the headgear is also listed on the Heritage at Risk Register.

Preserving Lancashire's coal mining inheritance