Styperson (or Ryle's) Wharf was situated on the offside of the Macclesfield Canal immediately before Ryle's Bridge. This wharf was used for the despatch of stone and coal gained locally, especially stone from the nearby Styperson Quarries. These quarries were particularly noted for the quality flagstone they produced.
Styperson Wharf & Quarries
Grid Ref: SJ 931 801
Tithe Map: c.1850, Ref: EDT 3/2
Parish: Prestbury - Township: Adlington
Courtesy: Cheshire Archives & Local Studies
Also known as Adlington Quarries and Mines, Styperson, coal mining began in the area from about the middle of the 18th century. When the Macclesfield Canal opened in 1831 it enabled both stone and coal to be transported more easily.
By 1888, the Styperson Saw Mill had been opened on the offside of the canal just before Hibbert's Brow (or Corner) Bridge to enable stone from the quarries to be sawn to size and shape prior to despatch.
The Legh family of Adlington Hall owned much of the land in the vicinity and by the middle of the 19th century the quarries and mines were both owned and occupied by Charles Richard Banastre Legh. He was born at the hall on the 4 March 1821 and he died there on the 26 February 1888, aged 66 years. He was the son of Thomas Cross Legh and Louisa Newnham and he married Mary Jane Anabella Wright at St Peter's Church, Prestbury, in 1846.